Friday 25 April 2014

Dear Mumma - MLL

** A love letter not only to my own mother but to every mother out there who needs to know she is loved, appreciated, and valuable. 

Dear Mumma,

No, I haven't been in the exact same shoes as you but I’ve been close enough to know the majority of how it feels. Even as I try to write this I’ve had 6 interruptions in 3 minutes from different kids needing to let me know they ‘vomited last night’ or ‘need to show me their undies’ or ‘drew me a picture and were returning my pen.’ Life with children is a never ending mixture of chaotic and mundane days. There’s always more laundry to fold. When it rains, it seems everything goes into overdrive and the dryer cant dry fast enough to handle everything that comes with outside being wet and muddy. You drag yourself out of bed every morning to fight them all once again in order to get everyone ready for school… You spend your whole day cleaning/ washing and cooking, and just when it’s time to sit down and rest – they all get home again.

Mumma – I want to say thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Being a mother is always a thankless job… But it’s time you hear these words. You are appreciated. I don’t know a single person who works as hard as you, and still finds time to build relationship at the end of the day. I don’t know anyone else who can give everything she has to people outside herself, and still smile and engage in conversation.

I know it never feels like enough. I know you collapse on the couch after fighting to get the kids to sleep, and feel like there are still a million other household things you should be doing, but you are enough. And what you’re doing – has so much more worth than you know.

I can’t put it any better than Steven Curtis Chapman already did.

                            'you are changing the world one little heartbeat at a time.'

That’s what you’re doing. And I know kids don’t recognize that fact when they’re young, but sometimes you get lucky when they get older, and they realize everything you have done for them. They realize that without you raising them the way you did, they would be completely different people. But Mumma, know this: if they don’t ever recognize what you gave up for them, if they don’t ever recognize the value in all you have instilled in them, I do. And others around you, also do. So on their behalf – thank you.

And from me – thank you. I’m only the person I am today because you fought with me through what always felt like losing battles. And you understood me when the rest of the world didn’t get it. And you cried with me when everything fell apart, and you celebrated with me when I finally arrived on the mountaintops. None of that has changed – and I love that. I am so thankful that no matter how old I get – you still listen and understand while I try to figure out this crazy world I live in. You still cry with me when my heart gets broken, and you still laugh and celebrate when God opens doors in my life. I can never thank you enough for pouring all you have into me, for listening to me ramble, for defending me when everyone else believed lies, and for trusting me with just some of the things you carry.

I know it’s tiring, Mumma. I know your worth feels all wrapped up in little (and big) people who can’t see it. I know there is new stresses and pressures every week to do more, be more, give more. But I just want you to know that what you’re doing is enough. And who you are is exactly enough. And ‘you may not see it now but I believe that time will tell how you are changing the world, one little heartbeat at a time.’

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment