Thursday 12 June 2014

Love is...

Loving someone has to be the most terrifying and brave thing to do. Ever.

Not because of the risk of a broken heart. But because love is selfless. It’s not about me. It’s choosing – every.single.day. – to put someone else’s needs before my own.

If Im being honest, I don’t know if I know how to do that. I’d like to think I am selfless but when it comes down to it, aren’t most of my choices about what will benefit me the most?

I guess that’s the thing: love is counter-cultural. Love is completely against the way this world works. Because this world we live in is selfish. It’s all about doing things for myself, doing whatever makes me happy, because ‘I’ll only live once.’

But truthfully, if I only live once, then maybe I don’t want it to be all about me. Maybe I wanna be the brave one and learn what it’s like to care for more than just myself. Maybe I wanna do the terrifying thing and learn what it means to say love isn’t arrogant, and doesn’t boast, brag, or strut about.

I don’t know if I can do it, but I’d like to try. I’d like to set my gaze on the very One Whose Name is Love, and learn from His example.

Because I wanna be brave enough to wake up, and think of how to fill somebody else’s needs before my own wants. I wanna be courageous enough to live beyond the bubble of my own thoughts and desires. I wanna be crazy enough to give up everything I’m holding onto for someone else’s sake if that’s what is necessary.

Love isn’t what I think it is, and isn’t always what I want it to be. It’s not tingly feelings and mad attraction. It’s not having someone by your side to make you happy or fill a void. Love is not about getting what I want. And I can’t say it any better than Paul so I’ll just use his words to tell you what love really is.

Love is patient – it waits til it is right.

Love is kind – even when someone doesn’t deserve kindness.

Love isn’t envious, doesn’t boast, brag, or strut about. There’s no arrogance in love; it’s never rude, crude, or indecent – It’s not self-absorbed.

Love isn’t easily upset.

Love doesn’t tally wrongs – it forgives.

It doesn’t celebrate injustice; but truth – yes, truth – is loves delight!

Love puts up with anything and everything that comes along – it stays even when the feelings are gone and fights for the other person.

Love trusts, hopes and endures no matter what. Love never becomes obsolete.

It’s a terrifying way to live – this I know. And maybe I’m just stupidly brave for wanting to try, but I pray this is always where I’m found. I pray this is the one thing I find myself learning and living. It’s not about me… And I can’t imagine anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment