Monday 2 September 2013

Enjoying Life

So, I have a lot of blog ideas for the near future, but for today, I just wanted to talk about something I think we often forget about.
We need to enjoy life.
We spend a lot of time doing what we have to - working, studying, looking after our families, and so forth.... But we were made for so much more than that. This life that we have is a gift. Every single day is a blessing. No, life is not perfect, but there are ways to be happy through it. There are ways to appreciate the blessings even on the bad days.
I keep a gratitude journal, where each day I try to write down at least 20 things I am thankful for. I have learned that being thankful for the small things, the mundane things, helps me to be thankful for the big things.Giving thanks fills my life with joy, and seems to slow time in the best way possible.

As Ann Voskamp writes in her book 'One Thousand Gifts' (awesome book, check it out!!): "Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given: joy."

See, I dont have the fullest of lives by the world's standards. I find myself with a lot of spare time, and my life can feel quite lonely at times. But on the days that feel the most lonely and long, I find myself giving thanks. Giving thanks for a season of rest, giving thanks for time to spend with God and get to know Him more. I find myself giving thanks that I have time to do the things I like to do... And in all this giving thanks, I find myself growing increasingly happier... I find joy being cemented into my life more and more.

I enjoy life. I find my life is full in the best way possible. I find myself with the windows down, singing songs I love, with the wind blowing through my hair and a smile across my face. Life is not perfect... There are things happening that really suck. But I am enjoying life anyway. I am finding happiness in the small things. I am realizing that this earth we live in is beautiful. I am learning that God has blessed me in a million ways, every single day.

Friends, enjoy your life today. Finding things to be thankful for in every day helps time to slow down. It helps you to feel like you're not missing out on life. Dont miss out on your life, Beloved. You're here for a reason. You are blessed beyond what you can imagine. Take time to breathe... To laugh... To live, truly live.

Life is... good.

No comments:

Post a Comment